- Best digital product ideas for ecommerce creators
- Best physical product ideas for ecommerce creators
- Tips for creating your product
Creating a best selling product in your ecommerce store doesn’t have to feel like rocket science.
Maybe you’ve been wanting to dip your toes into the world of ecommerce business for a while, but you aren’t sure where you should start.
Perhaps you’ve tried a few different ideas, but none of them have taken off in the way you’d hoped.
Maybe you have a million ideas swirling in your head—but you don’t know how to choose an idea to run with when it feels like every idea has been done before.
Yes, it might be harder to come up with something entirely original—but the great news is you don’t have to reinvent the wheel to come up with a new product. There’s still plenty of room for innovation and putting your unique touch on your products.
Rather than feel plagued by indecision, we want to share some examples of physical and digital products you can create and sell online—without sacrificing more than a few hours each week.
As you begin brainstorming ideas for the kinds of products you may want to sell in your shop, we want to share what items are “hot” right now along with a few key lessons you can take away from some of the top ecommerce sellers.
So without further ado, let’s look at some ecommerce product ideas!
Best digital product ideas for ecommerce creators
Digital products are a great way to dip your toes into ecommerce:
- They’re quick to create. You can create your first digital product in only a few hours, and start growing your bottom line. You might even have all the content you need already!
- They’re low overhead. You don’t have to purchase inventory or worry about high shipping costs, and it’s impossible to run out of stock.
- The margins are great. Once you’ve created your product, you can sell it as many times as you want—and since the recurring costs are so low, most of that profit stays in your pocket.
- They’re easy to automate. It only takes a few minutes to set up an automation in ConvertKit (or your ecommerce platform of choice) to deliver your digital product instantly—even while you’re asleep.
The best part? There’s no limit to the kinds of products you can create and sell. That makes them a great option for a wide variety of online creators, from freelancers and coaches to artists and educators.
Let’s look at a few of the most popular digital product options for online creators, along with examples to inspire your own products.
Let’s begin with the crowd favorite—the tried and true ebook.
Writing an ebook might feel overwhelming—but it’s easier than you might think. Ebooks are great for sharing your expertise on almost any topic, or curating other peoples’ knowledge in a central location. In fact, many ebooks you’ll find online are just compilations of blog content and social media posts the author has already shared, only expanded to include more detail.
Now, I know what you’re thinking. Can I really make a sustainable income online selling ebooks? Just ask Arvid Kahl, whose recent launch of his ebook Zero to Sold ended up selling nearly 1,000 copies in the first six days after launch. Or David Kadavy, who self-published three ebooks in only 6 months.