HOW TO START WORKING OUT : WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU BEGIN
BENEFITS OF EXERCISE (WELL-KNOWN & LESS KNOWN)
Almost everyone knows exercise improves your health. However, a lot of people aren’t aware of all the benefits of exercise.
Top benefits you can look forward to when you start working out:
- Reduced risk of chronic disease(1)
- Better mood & mental health(2, 3)
- Balanced energy levels throughout the day & better sleep
- Slowing of the aging process(4)
- A boost to brain health(5)
- Positive effect on the microbiome(6)
- A boost to sex life.
HOW MUCH EXERCISE IS RECOMMENDED WEEKLY FOR HEALTH BENEFITS?
The general exercise recommendation is:
- Cardio (minimum amount of activity): At least 150 minutes of moderate cardio throughout the week. It can be replaced with at least 75 minutes of intense cardio throughout the week or a combination of both.
- Strength training (highly recommended): Exercises involving major muscle groups on two or more days a week.
- For extra health benefits: Minimum cardio should be increased by an additional 300 minutes per week (moderate) or 150 minutes of (intense) cardio per week (or a combination of both).(7)